Name:
Location: New Jersey, United States

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Inappropriate?

We had our parent teacher conference last week with SG's teacher. Of course he is brilliant, which we knew, but she said that he will sometimes say some "inappropriate" things and she has to remind him where he is, etc etc. I asked for an example - which was this....

They were talking about Thanksgiving and brainstorming some of the things that the turkey might say to save himself. They were going to record the responses and hang them in the hallway with the hope of saving the turkey. Well, SG very enthusiastically raised his hand and said that the turkey should say "don't eat me! I taste like poop." Personally I think that is ingenious. I mean, unless you are my dog, who likes to eat poop? If you told me something tasted like poop, I would be far less likely to eat it, wouldn't you? Is it inappropriate to laugh at a parent teacher conference at the inappropriate thing your kid says? I hope not. And I do feel just the tiniest bit of guilt - no doubt he got that idea from some of the conversations we have had.

And just now I got a call from SG with a question (apparently Daddy thought I should be the one to answer this question). SG asked if he could play Spin the Bottle. WHAT?!? I asked if he knew what it was and he said no but he heard about it on a show on Nickelodeon and wanted to play. I told him it was a kissing game and that I would play with him. That should turn him off to it - I am most definitely NOT allowed to kiss him. Not even at night, in the dark, under the covers, when I am tucking him in and there is no one else in the room. But he surprised me and said that he WOULD play with me. Now I am torn between discouraging him from this game that clearly he is too young to know anything about, or taking my kisses where I can get em.

Oh and SG lost his 6th tooth a couple of weeks ago. Daddy and I were out for the evening and the boys were asleep by the time we got home. We got awakened at the crack of dawn by a very excited SG, pointing to the new gap in his teeth and holding his tiny little tooth in the palm of his hand. Then he wanted to know why the tooth fairy didn't come the night before? Um, probably because the sitter forgot to tell the tooth fairy that he lost a tooth! When questioned about it, the sitter said he didn't tell us because SG wanted it to be a surprise. Um, do you see the problem here?

SG was then sitting on the couch with his tooth (he was waiting for daddy to wake up so he could show him) and dropped it. Daddy turned that couch upside down (literally) trying to find that tiny tooth. I went down and found it in about 6 seconds. But the good news is that since Daddy turned the couch upside down, I also found the remote control to the TV that had been lost for literally 2.5 years. Bonus!!

And my closing Gish thoughts - sitting at dinner a couple of weeks ago and I order Gish a glass of milk. He wanted chocolate milk but I said no since he had had chocolate milk with lunch and it was getting close to bedtime (sugar that late scares me). He argued with me, pouted, and finally said "I don't like milk! Milk STINKS!" Nice.

Well, outta here. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

2 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Personally I think it's a riot. Now if he would have said it tastes like shit...

Happy Thanksgiving Lainie.

1:50 AM EST  
Blogger Robin said...

Oh, and it sounds extremely age-appropriate too. Nothing funnier than bathroom humor to a 6.5 year old boy. We're in it up to our eyeballs over here.

1:51 AM EST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home